Saturday, March 8, 2014

Beware of Pickpockets



 From the parable of the Sower:

Mr 4:4 As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road and birds ate it.
Mr 4:13 He continued, "Do you see how this story works? All my stories work this way.
Mr 4:14 "The farmer plants the Word.
Mr 4:15 Some people are like the seed that falls on the hardened soil of the road. No sooner do they hear the Word than Satan snatches away what has been planted in them.

It has been a sad observation of mine that Christians are vulnerable to spiritual pickpockets, and are naive enough to think that the thief only steals from "lost" people. I wish that were true, but experience teaches otherwise. I have seen people ripped off in church. How so, you ask?

Text messages, cell phones, distractions.

Others are ripped off by a feeling of inapplicability, they hear a message about gossiping, or anger, and think it applies to everyone but themselves. Perhaps that is what Jesus had in mind when He said, "...my word has no place in you." Here was a group of people that God's word could not penetrate into their heart and take root, yet these were the very same people who claimed to be closest to God! (John 8:33 ...we are Abraham's seed) With God it is always better to be humble and broken, that is the best soil there is for the word of God to take root.


Here is a partial list of some of the things I try to pray over my preaching, sermons, and life, I present it that you might hear the heart of a pastor pleading for the benefit of the flock he has been called to serve:

I pray for the Word to have place in them.
For the Word to take root, continue in their minds, thoughts and actions.
For the Word to be heard without distractions.
For the ability to speak beyond myself.
For the ability to be able to ring the lost's bell.
To have greater gifts in pulling in and mending my nets.
To have no holes in our spiritual pockets.

These things I pray for me and for you. Keep your fire burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment