Wednesday, August 5, 2020

How Long O Lord?



Ps 6:1  Please, GOD, no more yelling, no more trips to the woodshed.
Ps 6:2  Treat me nice for a change; I’m so starved for affection. Can’t you see I’m black and blue, beat up badly in bones
Ps 6:3  and soul? GOD, how long will it take for you to let up?

This type of prayer is repeated in several other places in the Psalms here are two more examples:

 Ps 13:1 Long enough, GOD—you’ve ignored me long enough. I’ve looked at the back of your head long enough.

Ps 80:4  GOD, God of the angel armies, how long will you smolder like a sleeping volcano while your people call for fire and brimstone?

When life is full of pain, it becomes doubly frustrating when you don't know why it is happening or how long it will go on for. And when that happens, please, please don't simply tell me to be patient. I know I have to wait on God, and I know that weeping lasts the night but joy comes in the morning. 

What I need, and what you need in moments like this is not much more than the comfort of a friend to help carry a load I am struggling with. Yes tell me what the bible says, just do it in a gentle uplifting way, that is what my soul needs in moments like this. Don't overly correct me if I say something stupid, God included the complaints of His people in the scriptures above without His annotations on how and why they were wrong. He just let them vent. Let's let people vent, and yes correct them if they really need it, but most of all let's love and encourage them. Isn't that what you would have others do for you?

When someone's fires is burning low, don't discourage them any more, help them stoke it.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment